Sunday, June 12, 2011

Education, Knowledge, and Learning


When I joined marching band in middle school, several of us got really close. A couple of the upperclassmen loved the little 7th graders so they decided to adopt us and make a "band family". I had a mom, a dad, and two sisters. Mom and Dad graduated not long after that, I entered high school, and new 7th graders came in. I decided to keep the tradition going and adopt two kids of my own, Michael and Jesse. As I got older, I decided to make the family even bigger by adding not only more band kids, but also JROTC kids: Hannah, Kaity, Connor, Rachel, Beth, Amanda, Machelle, Kaycee, and Ashley.

Years have passed and even though it's been a long time since I was in high school, I still considering these boys and girls to be my "kiddos". However, I'm starting to realize they are not kiddos anymore. Last week I went back to my old high school to watch Michael, Jesse, Hannah, Kaity, and Connor graduate. Like many mothers, I was overcome by sadness that my babies were growing up so fast and joy that they survived high school and are off to a whole new world!

I decided to dedicate this blog to their graduation because there are so many people in the world that are unable to graduate for one reason or another. Many people take education for granted. You'll hear students that constantly ask "when am I ever going to use this?" Well, readers, you never know when something you learn in the classroom will come in hand later. There are many people in the world that do not have the luxury of continuing their education and would love to be in your shoes.

I encourage you to think about a class you really enjoyed, a teacher who inspired you, the books that gave you even more brain power. What did you learn from them? Now think about the class you hated, the teacher you despised, and the books that put you to sleep every time. What did you learn from them? We should always be seeking knowledge and try to learn everything we can. Knowledge, learning, and education are what will make life easier and more interesting. The only excuse you have for not learning something is because you are no longer breathing and your heart is no longer beating.

Now I leave you thinking about some of the things you have learned in life and wonder what things you will learn in the future. To Michael, Jesse, Hannah, Kaity, and Connor, I wish you all my love, the best of luck in college, and encourage you to never stop learning and seeking education!


Hannah and her "real" mom and siblings!


Sweet Kaity!

Jesse and Connor!

Michael!

No comments:

Post a Comment